Have you been an RCN customer using a Motorola HD DVR (DCT6412 III) with the Passport Echo DVR software? If you have, you may have noticed that over time your available record time (i.e., free disk space) gets smaller and smaller. I didn’t notice it until my available recording time (for HD shows) went from around 15 hours –> 4 hours.
The reason for this is because of a bug in the Passport Echo DVR software. My guess: when you delete a show, the software doesn’t reclaim all of the freed-up disk space. Here’s how to fix the problem:
- Make sure your DVR is turned-on
- Hold the power button on the DVR until you see “boot” displayed on the DVR (not on your TV)
- Let go of the power button
- Wait for 3 – 5 minutes so the DVR and Passport Echo reboot
That’s it – you’re done. Don’t worry about your recorded shows, this process will not erase them. Passport Echo will now ‘see’ all of the available space on the hard drive.
To check your available disk space, do the following:
- Click the “DVR” button on your remote
- Ensure the list of recorded shows is displayed (if not, click the “A” button)
- When the listing of recorded shows is displayed, click the “A” button, again
- A small pop-up menu will be displayed
- In the pop-up menu, choose ‘view disk space’
FYI, the customer support rep told me that RCN has been working with Passport Echo for the past couple of months to fix this bug and that a fix should be pushed to our DVRs in the near future.
It would’ve been nice if RCN proactively warned us about this bug since it would’ve significantly reduced the number of tech support calls they got for this issue.
Update (3/30/2007) Added steps for how to see the amount of available disk space.