Anne Zelenka, of Web Worker Daily, has a great post titled, “Rock your Google Calendar in 18 ways.” You probably know some of them if you’re using Google Calendar but I’ll bet you don’t know all of them.
Here are some of the more interesting ones:
- Add events to Google Calendar without being in GCal (thanks to a GCal Quick Add Firefox extension)
- Receive event reminders via SMS
- Get a daily agenda emailed or text messaged to you
- Add a pop-up notifier of upcoming events to the Firefox status bar (via a Firefox extension)
I would add one to her list: GooSync. Being able to do a 2-way sync from a mobile phone or smartphone with Google Calendar is a HUGE bonus for some people. You can read more about this tool in my GooSync review.
Filed under: Calendar, Firefox Add-On, Google, How-To, Software
February 5, 2007 • 4:04 pm
Looking for some good Firefox extensions/add-ons? Here’s a list of the ones I’ve found most useful:
- Foxmarks: Automatically synchronizes your Firefox bookmarks with Firefox installations on other computers. For example, I have this installed on my Mac and PC to keep my bookmarks in-sync between the two computers.
- Tab Catalog: Have you ever had, say, 8 different tabs open in Firefox and wanted to quickly see thumbnail images of each tab? Then, this extension/add-on is for you. It mimics Mac OS X’s Expose feature by displaying thumbnail images of all open tabs in one window and includes multiple ways to activate it – my favorite method is to click both the left & right mouse buttons at the same time but you can also click the F8 or Ctrl(Command)+Tab keys.
- Delicious: This add-on adds two Delicious buttons to your toolbar – one to view your Delicious bookmarks and another to tag the current web page to your Delicious bookmarks. So, the next time you’re viewing a web page, just click the “Tag” button to add it to your Delicious bookmarks. Very handy. By the way, there are several Delicious add-ons for Firefox but this is the best one, IMO. I would stay away from the add-on that was created by Yahoo! because it merges all of your Delicious bookmarks with your Firefox bookmarks.
- Forecastfox: Addicted to the weather? Addiction solved.
- Fotofox: A great add-on for uploading multiple photos to Flickr, Kodak Easy Share Gallery, SmugMug, and a few others. I use it with Flickr and it allows you to also add tags, title, and choose a photo set for each pic you upload. The only thing Fotofox doesn’t let you do with Flickr is add a description for each photo.
- AllPeers: This is a cool file sharing add-on that allows you to share files and videos with those on your AllPeers friends list. I’ve installed it but haven’t used it, yet…I gotta get some friends to install it!
Would you recommend other Firefox add-ons? If so, feel free to post a commment so I can check ’em out. 🙂
Update: (2/14/2007) Added two more extensions – Fotofox and AllPeers.
Filed under: Firefox, Firefox Add-On, Software, Technology, Web Browser