Since Microsoft won’t be releasing the final version of DreamScene until mid-2007, they decided to release a “preview” version. I noticed it in Windows Update back on February 16 and finally had the chance to check it out. For those of you who are not familiar with DreamScene, it allows you to replace your desktop wallpaper with a video (in .mpg or .wmv formats) that plays on your desktop.
DreamScene comes with one video, which is an animated version of the standard ‘Vista wallpaper’ but you can change it to any .mpg or .wmv video file. Here’s how to download and enable DreamScene:
- Click the Windows start button
- In the search box, enter “windows ultimate extras”
- In the search results, click “Windows Ultimate Extras.” This will open the Windows Update window.
- You should see DreamScene listed in the “Windows Ultimate Extras available for download” section. If not, you probably already installed it (you can verify if it was installed by clicking the “View update history” link).
- Install DreamScene.
- After installation, right-click on your desktop and choose “Personalize.”
- When the Personalization window opens, click “Desktop Background.”
- In the Location drop-down list, choose “Windows DreamScene Content” (see image).
- After choosing this option, you’ll be able to choose which video you’d like to play. After choosing the video, click “OK.”
Once you have DreamScene enabled, there are shortcuts to 1.) pause the video and 2.) to choose a different video file:
To pause the video, right-click on your Desktop and choose “Pause DreamScene.” See below.