November 1, 2007 • 7:37 pm
Looks like Wal-Mart will be selling the Toshiba HD-DVD player (HD-A2) for $100 this Friday, November 2 and Best Buy is already selling it for $100 (sold out on their website, though).
Not good enough? Well, rumor is Sears will be selling the newer HD-A3 Toshiba HD-DVD player for $169 on Black Friday (compare that to Best Buy’s current price of $249).
If you’re thinking about buying an HD-DVD player now is the time!
Filed under: Bargains, Deals, HD DVD, HDTV, Home Theater, Movies
November 1, 2007 • 7:23 pm
Apple quietly updated the MacBook and the MacBook Pro today. Here are the deets:
- The clock speed of the Intel Core 2 Duo processors got a small bump: 2.0 -> 2.0Ghz and 2.16 -> 2.2Ghz
- The architecture has been upgraded to Santa Rosa (finally!), which provides an 800Mhz front side bus (compared to the older 667Mhz front side bus)
- Upgraded the Intel graphics card to the Intel GMA X3100 w/144MB of DDR2 SDRAM
- Option to upgrade the 2.4Ghz processor –> 2.6Ghz
- Option to upgrade the hard drive to 250GB SATA drive @ 5400 rpm
- Option to upgrade from 160GB (5400 rpm) to 200GB SATA drive @ 7200 rpm (previously, 160GB was the only option if you wanted a 7200 rpm SATA drive)
One thing to keep in mind: this is NOT the MacBook Pro processor upgrade that we are hoping to see in January 2008 – i.e., the upgrade to Intel’s Penryn processor.
The Penryn processor will provide 6MB of L2 cache vs. 4MB L2 cache and reduced from 65nm –> 45nm (this means a bit faster and will run a bit cooler). So, if you were waiting for that, keep waiting…like me.
Filed under: Apple, Computers, Laptop, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Notebook